> / > general > food > recipes
A finished jar of pickles.
- 1/4 cup salt
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups white vinegar
- Enough cucumber to tightly pack your jars
- 1-2 cloves of garlic per jar, peeled and sort of squashed with the side of the knife to get the juices flowing
- Sprig of dill per jar
- Large pinch of mustard seeds
- Chop cucumbers into discs.
- Pour boiling water over jars and lids in order to sterilise them.
- Bring stock pot to rolling boil
- Stuff cucumbers, dill, garlic cloves and mustard seeds into jars as tightly as possible. More tightly than you think is necessary.
- Pour brine over the top leaving a centimeter or so gap above.
- Use a spoon to pop air bubbles and pack cucmbers in.
- Do a final wipe of the rims of the jars and lids.
- Screw lids on.
- Put jars in boiling stock pot and boil for 10 minutes
- Extract jars from stock pot. All lids should be distended and then retract as it cools. Any jars with lids that still pop when cooled should go in the fridge.
3 cups water
2 cups vinegar
1/4 cup salt
Bring to the boil and dissolve salt.